When a company decides to use assessments to improve its’
selection process, there are several very important factors to consider
including validity of the assessments used in the hiring process.
In the hiring context, validity refers to how well a test predicts
success in a job. Several dimensions must be considered in determining
whether a test is “valid” for use in hiring.
1. Does the assessment accurately measure the competencies
it claims to measure?
2. Is the assessment reliable, meanings in test/retest
situations the results are consistent?
3. Do the test scores correlate with job performance;
can the test predict job success?
4. Was a validation process completed with a sufficient
sample size to make the conclusions statistically significant?
5. Is the test developer willing to stand behind their
instrument if you are challenged?
Using assessments that do not meet all of these criteria is not
only a waste of money, but may leave the company vulnerable to legal
Peak Performance Associates will only recommend assessments that
meet all of the above criteria. Validation reports including adverse
impact data are available upon request.